Winter months and cold weather can be harsh on your skin. During the winter months, the combination of lower temperatures and reduced humidity extracts moisture from your skin. Your skin needs moisture to stay hydrated and healthy. When moisture evaporates from the top layer of skin, your skin may look drier, redder, flakier and older looking.
All of the sudden it got really cold. It became necessary to make sure I was always carrying a few things: a scarf and everything and anything to keep my skin from succumbing to the horrors of winter.
How to protect your skin in Winter
Winter is not the best time for our skin. This is the time of the year when our skin turns dry and flaky. There are things you can do to prevent the dryness from getting worse. Keeping your skin well hydrated and moisturized is the best way you can do with your skin during this time.
There are several moisturizing products available in the market today. It is very important to find the best products suited for your skin type. Moisturizing soap and lotion are the most basic weapons against skin dryness during winter.
Dove winter care soap and Aveeno moisturizing lotion work best for my skin. They keep my skin well hydrated and dryness has never been a problem for me when the winter comes. They are specifically formulated to keep your skin moisturized all day and night.
- Drink water regularly throughout the day.
- Give your skin steam treatments and steam baths. After the steam treatment, lock in moisture with a deeply replenishing cream, lotion or gel.
- Don’t squint in the glare of snow and ice. Wear sunglasses when necessary.
- Protect skin around eyes with a richer, cell replenishing formula in winter.
- Protect lips with lip balm or gel.
- Before winter sports, don’t forget to moisturize the skin on hands, ears, nose, and neck.
- Protect your skin with gloves, scarves, hats and mufflers when you go outside.
- Use sunscreen.